05/23/2018 Market Alert – Steel Pipe, Flanges & Fittings
Since enacted on March 23, 2018, Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act continues to drive trade negotiations with select countries and thousands of petitions for exemption from exporters around the world. This coupled with scheduled maintenance on US steel plants and mandatory plant shutdowns in China for emissions reform continue to create supply shortages for steel related categories.
Market Pricing Impact – 05/23/2018: (“Domestic” unless otherwise stated).
- A53B ERW Pipe will be flat through Q3.
- A53F, Gr. A CW Pipe will be flat through Q3.
- A135/A795 will be flat through Q3.
- A106 will remain flat through Q3. 2” could see another 10% increase.
- Stainless Pipe pricing has plateaued and lead times are coming back down.
- Import A53B ERW Pipe will show a 5-7% decrease by Q3.
- Copper Tubing – We can expect to see a small increase before the end of Q2.
- Weld Fittings – Potential for 8% Increase by Q3. Extended Lead Times
- CS Flanges – Potential for 8% Increase by Q3. Extended Lead Times
- Stainless Fittings, Nipples and Flanges will see up to a 16% increase in Q3. Extended Lead Times
- Malleable Iron Fittings – Flat through Q3.
- Welded Nipples – Flat through Q3.
- Forged Steel Fittings & Seamless Nipples – 18% Increase by end of Q3. Extended Lead Times
- Copper Wrot Fittings – 8% increase in Q2.
- Import Flanges and Fittings – Flat through Q3.
- Cast Steel and Forged Steel Valves – 20% increase in Q3. Very Extended Lead Times
- Pipe Hangers, Supports, Strut & Accessories – 10% increase
Hot Rolled Coil Pricing Evolution:
Be cautious with offering extended price protection in your bidding. As rulings continue to unfold with Section 232 and AD/CVD trade cases, price and availability will remain volatile well into Q3.