Market Alert – Steel Pipe, Flanges & Fittings
As has been widely reported, on March 8 2018, President Trump announced a 25% tariff on steel imports as a result of an investigation into the national security impact of these imports under Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962.
Market Pricing Impact – 03/16/2018:
Items below are market price increases in 2018 (“Domestic” unless otherwise stated).
- A53B ERW Pipe has increased 35.2%.
- A53F, Gr. A CW Pipe has increased 33%.
- A135/A795 Sprinkler Pipe has increased 34%.
- Import A53B ERW Pipe has increased 23%
- Weld Fittings – 8% Increase
- CS Flanges – 8% Increase
- Malleable Iron Fittings – 6% Increase
- Welded Nipples – 8% Increase
- Forged Steel Fittings & Seamless Nipples – 18% Increase
- Import Flanges and Fittings are all subject to 25% tariff.
PLATTS Hot Rolled Coil Prices
In accordance with this statute, these measures are set to take effect at 12:01 EST on March 23, 2018, 15 days after President Trump signed the proclamations. Tariffs will apply in addition to existing antidumping and countervailing duties or other charges imposed on subject imports.
At this time, Canada and Mexico are exempt from Section 232 imposed tariffs pending NAFTA renegotiations.